The Dallas, Rockwall, and Forney areas we significantly impacted by yesterday’s storms. We live in Heath, and there were some scary
moments! Even if your home wasn’t directly hit by a tornado, you could still have minor or even major damage.
I pulled up some information about things to look for if you are concerned your home might have experienced hail damage. This is from the Allstate website and it gives these tips if your home was in a tornado and/or hail storm:
• In the days or weeks after a tornado, check walls and ceilings for water stains or yellowing that did not exist before. It could indicate damage on the roof.
• Carefully inspect the outside gutters. Damaged gutters could cause water damage inside the home long after the actual gutter damage occurs.
For residents who received hail, there are a few places you can look for signs of damage:
• Check patio covers, screens, windows and soft aluminum roofs for hail damage.
• Be safe when checking for roof damage, and consider using binoculars to check your roof for hail damage.
• Check vehicles for dents and broken or cracked glass caused by hail.
• If you find hail damage, consider doing the following:
• Cover any broken windows and holes in your roof, as well as any broken glass on the car, to prevent further damage.
• Report your insurance claim as soon as possible; no matter what the level of damage.
• If possible, have your auto insurance, homeowner insurance and/or renter’s insurance policy numbers available when you report your claim.
• Take pictures before you make any temporary repairs.
• Keep receipts for necessary temporary repairs due to a covered loss to present to your adjuster. These costs may be reimbursable under your homeowner policy.
If you just aren’t sure whether there was damage or not, but are still concerned, there are many roofing companies with experience evaluating hail damage and also can negotiate directly with your insurance company.
I hope this helps! As always, don’t hesitate to call or email me if you need anything at all! I hope all is well and hope to hear from you soon.
Talk to you soon,
Leave a Reply