clair de la lune, a new European-inspired lingerie boutique, will offer high quality lingerie and exceptional customer service. The store, which will cover 1,300 square feet, will be in Hawthorne Plaza, a reputable retail center in Southern Johnson County, Kansas. This area has high traffic counts and attracts qualified traffic from compatible retailers.
Kansas City has fewer outlets than similar-sized markets for intimate apparel. There are discount and mass merchandisers that sell lower quality brands. There are department stores that carry better brands but offer smaller sizes and less customer service. 10 Victoria’s Secret stores cater to 18-34 year olds with inconsistent quality products and poorly trained staff. There are no lingerie stores that offer services to the high-income, south Johnson County and south Kansas City areas.
Based on lingerie spend patterns, this business plan has Sections 4 and 4.2 that identify the three main target groups. These are the three target groups:
- Women 25-59 with a household income of $75K+
- Women aged 18-24
A common psychographic component that clair de lune is targeting amongst all three groups is the Intimate Apparel Enthusiast (IAE). An IAE refers to a woman who takes enough care of her lingerie to prefer to shop at a specialty retailer and not buy her lingerie from Wal-Mart.
There are large numbers of potential customers who fit these target descriptions within a five mile radius of our store location, which captures Hawthorne Plaza shoppers for impulse purchases, and within a fifteen mile radius for destination traffic. (See section 4.1).
Unique Selling Proposition:
A recent column in Dear Abby stated that a bra shopper was complaining that a 32 year old woman doesn’t need a bra. However, she could choose from black, white, navy, shocking, pink or turquoise as well. If a woman is 42-D or more and needs a bra all day, she can choose from ‘#8211’ white.
Clair de la Lune solves this woman’s dilemma by offering a variety of styles in a unique size range that she will only find here in Kansas City. Clear de lune has a wide range of lingerie, from the moderately-priced to the more expensive. Their lingerie is distinguished by its superior quality silks, hand-finished laces and outstanding craftsmanship. We can help the Victoria’s Secret shopper up-sell a product they have seen in fashion magazines to be of higher quality. This is done by explaining the benefits of the higher durability, construction and fit at a slightly higher cost. A full description of clair de lune’s product offerings can be found in Sections 3.1 and 5.1.
clair d’lune’#8217â€™s highly-trained personnel will get to understand each customer’, and will offer bra fittings and other special services as described in Section 5.1.
Vision and Leadership:
Terry Levine is the sole owner. She has more than 20 years of experience in advertising and marketing. This will prove to be an invaluable asset when it comes to analyzing customer and market potential as well as in creating a solid marketing plan. As a seasoned media strategist, she has a great grasp of numbers, and will utilize her negotiating and relationship building skills with vendors and clients. She has extensive experience controlling costs for other businesses, with a natural penchant for watching the bottom line.
Terry will be supported in her inventory management decisions with the help of Susan Nethero, the owner of Intimacy, Atlanta’s award-winning lingerie shop. She will also serve as a consultant on start-up inventory and other operational issues. She is an icon in her industry, and she is recognized by both customers and vendors alike.
Clair de lune plans to produce $439,000. With aggressive growth projections up to 15% in year two and 17% the third year, will be able to grow its product line and aggressive marketing.
The store is expected become profitable within the second year.
- It is our goal to create a shopping environment where both men and women feel relaxed, stimulated, and pampered by the many choices available.
- To utilize superior customer service to create positive word-of-mouth recommendations and repeat sales
- To give each customer individual attention.
- To have 50% return customers within six (6) months after their first purchase.
clair de lune is a specialty lingerie boutique offering labels, styles and sizes that are currently unavailable in Kansas City, thereby filling a void that exists between Victoria’s Secret and department store selections.
Our mission is to satisfy the needs of the discerning lingerie shopper by providing fit, comfort and style in a comfortable, exciting and satisfying atmosphere.
We want to connect with the Intimate Aparel Enthusiasts, (IAE) in a way that creates the impression that clair de lune feels like “my lingerie boutique”.
1.3 Keys To Success
- High quality products and cutting-edge designs are available at our Kansas City location.
- Locate a store in a location that is highly visible and attracts impulse buyers. Bridal, women’s clothing) and is easily accessible.
- Understand clair de lune’s target customer to ensure that the correct product mix is available to meet their needs.
- Offer a wide range of sizes, including larger sizes for those who are growing plus sizes.
- Superior, personal customer service is key to generating positive word-ofâ€“mouth recommendations and influencing a high rate for repeat business.
- Continuously monitor inventory levels, and make adjustments as needed.
- Educate customers and offer advice on fitting.
- Offer a variety of price points so that customers do not feel intimidated by the higher priced offerings.
- In-store and window displays are changed frequently to increase impulse purchase, creating the illusion that there is always something new at Claire de lune.