Pre-Listing Check List for Sellers
General Comments & Suggestions regarding your home as perceived by potential buyers…
There are 3 Key Terms in preparing your home to sell: Updated, Clutter-free, and Clean. Your home will appeal to most buyers when it is well taken care of & there is little sign of occupancy. We want buyers to be able to easily visualize themselves living in the home. With these tips, you are sure to capture positive attention and show above the competition!
- All Home Features: Make sure paint, carpet, tile, countertops, lighting, appliances, hardware are all updated and neutral (beige tones are most desired).
- Home Repairs: Fix/Repair any cracks, leaks, holes, caulking issues, other damage as to not deter buyers.
- Home Accessories: Furniture, Decor, and Accessories should be in style and compliment the home (view a local model home for ideas).
- Have minimal décor/accessories on display throughout the home. Simple, non-distracting items are best.
- Think “necessity” as you are preparing each room to show its best. If it is not needed or serving a purpose, prepack it.
- Make sure furniture is arranged to welcome guests into the room, instead of blocking walkways.
- General rule is try and have no more than 4 pieces of furniture in one area to help rooms feel larger.
- Pack away personal photos to allow buyers to visualize their family living in the home.
- Keep personal items (bills and other paperwork) out of sight for your protection, as well.
- Remove personal items (toothbrushes, get-ready items) from bathroom counters, and keep out of sight in cabinets for easy access.
- Keep all closets and cabinets no more than 70% full to show adequate storage space.
- Keep items in closets, cabinets, pantry, laundry room, and garage tidy and organized (resembling a store).
- Landscaping should be well-manicured on a weekly basis (add fresh mulch and a few colorful flowers to flowerbeds).
- Front & Back porches are to be cleaned and ready for guests.
- Spring clean: blinds, lights, baseboards, doors, vents, appliances, and windows.
- Interior of home is to be kept squeaky clean on a daily basis.
- A place for everything and everything in its place allows you to quickly clean throughout.
- Make sure beds are made and rooms picked up each morning (give the kids an incentive…ex: gift card once sold).
- Keep laundry out of sight in baskets and launder on a regular basis.
- Consistently keep dishes cleaned…dirty dishes in sink send a negative message.
- Keep trashcans hidden and emptied frequently.
- Home should always smell clean and fresh (use plug-ins, diffusers, sprays on a regular basis).
- Most buyers want a pet-free home, so keep pets and related items out of sight during showings.
- Keep carpets steam cleaned and vacuumed regularly.
- Open blinds during the day, and turn on accent lighting throughout during showings.