Kingfishers is a retail Fly Shop offering supplies, guided tours, and fishing/hunting cabins to Anglers and Hunters that come to our state from all over the world. We are centrally situated in the heart of this popular area, at Highway frontage on one the busiest roads. We are in a prime location to succeed, as we make an excellent base camp and meeting place.
Ausable Wilfff and Brassie Nymph are now the new owners.
Our competitive edge is tremendous. Our unique customer “interest points” and our excellent location give us an advantage in advertising. Because we are experts at fly fishing these rivers, we can stock the right supplies and give expert advice to customers so they can enjoy their fishing vacations. First-time fisherman who visit us will be greeted with warmth and support. Our lodging is not only affordable, but we also have some of the most exclusive and luxurious lodging in the region. We are conveniently located between four major blue-ribbon rivers and the famous Trout River. Our great location, the atmosphere of our store and, most importantly, our attitude are key to our success.
This plan will show what the business needs to start its successful venture, and how we plan on doing it. It shows that, even using conservative projections it will still have positive cashflows, great gross margins above 50%, and steady/solid expansion. Our first year will be a little profitable, but our profits will increase steadily. Our projections are calculated based on past performance under the previous owner. He freely admits that he hasn’t maximized the profits potential of his business. These projections are conservative and will allow us to surpass industry standards in almost all areas.
The owners have contributed $64,000 to help finance the purchase, renovation and restocking the business. We also want a 10-year loan in the amount of $513,000 that is secured by 3 houses as collateral, at 8% interest.
To bring the business back on track, we have several key objectives. We must achieve these goals in order to maximize revenue and profitability today. These are our objectives in order to accomplish this:
- Advertising and Web presence can double the number customers who walk through the doors each year. It also increases customer traffic by 20% every year for five years.
- Remodeling the retail space to increase floor sales by 30% and re-merchandising products in flow patterns will make it more customer- and ‘#8220â€™-friendly.
- To maximize all revenue sources within the geographical area, offer Hunting products to the substantiated large amount of hunters in that area during the fall/winter months. This will increase revenue by at least 25% in the first year, 33% in the second year and 40% in the third year.
- To reinstate the guide service for anglers, booking a minimum of 125 trips the first year using independently contracted guides and 1 employed guide, 250 the second year by using independently contracted guides and 1-2 employed guides, and 300+ the third year by using independently contracted and 1-2 employed guides under the Kingfishers Outfitters’ License. We will rent 2-3 driftboats to anglers who are able to do without professional guides.
- To gain market share, increase revenues and grow current revenues 50-60% through offering quality lodging at competitive prices in the best location possible for anglers or hunters. This would be achieved by building five log cabins in the first year and then adding one cabin each year for three years, starting in Year 3. This will allow us to increase both lodging and product sales revenues.
To provide an Angler’s and Outdoorsman’s shop where the customer is the priority and arrogance is left at the door… where patience is a practice and everyone we meet is a friend… where questions are answered without demeaning glances, and cold stares are unheard of…
where you are asked to stay for a cup of coffee rather than just asked for your money and shown the door. Kingfishers is dedicated in providing Anglers, Hunters, and others with the best equipment, knowledge, and experiences.
1.3 Keys for Success
There are four keys to success for the retail Fly Shop and Hunting Store businesses:
- Located in Centrally located within minutes from 5 major Trout Rims and 4,000+ acres of public land. We are located along a major highway that links Yellowstone National Park to Glacier National Park. Also, it is the highway that leads directly to one of the state’s top tourist attractions.
- Quality/Variety: We offer both high-quality and affordable products for anglers and hunters. This shop also offers unique products and services.
- Atmosphere This store is situated in a rustic log building that represents our state. It’s a large, comfortable space with a welcoming atmosphere. This makes it easy to sell without stress.
- Visibility/Marketing: Kingfishers is located on one of the busiest highways in the southwest portion of our state. Each day, between 3000 and 4000 vehicles pass by the store during the spring, autumn, and summer months. We will use both passive advertising (billboards and other forms) to attract customers both from within the state and out of it.